It seems like I often have to learn things in life the long way around. I think if I just read the manual properly, or asked the right questions, things might go smoother. But, as in other cases, I may be technologically (and psychologically) challenged.
Here is how I attempted to get the Alcatel Move Time Track & Talk Watch watch set up. If you’re in a rush and want to know how to do it properly, skip to the end.
- Ignore instructions about needing a nano sim card and try and pair my phone with the watch after downloading the app. Error: not found.
- After chatting to the PR lady realise I do need a nano sim. Go to cellphone shop to get one but forget I need proof of address.
- Go back to cellphone shop with proof of address (carrying sleeping child) and feel triumphant that I now have a nano sim. This should work. Ignore ladies at counter that say I need a phone to figure out the phone number of the sim.
- Put nano sim in and try and pair again. Error: not found.
- After more emails realise I need to make sure that Bluetooth, NFC, GPS and Wifi must be off. Still not working.
- Apparently there should be a “G” on the phone. This I do not have and don’t know how to make happen.
- Phone technician who says it is because nano sim doesn’t have data on it. And I need to know the number to put the data on it. He suggests IPhone. (I have an old one)
- Can’t get IPhone open and don’t have paper clip to open it to get the sim card in.
- Go back to cellphone shop. They put the nano sim in their own phone and get the phone number. Hurray! I transfer data from my phone. But that elusive “G” still does not pop up. Try pairing anyway. Error: not found. Nicky is having fun with the cushions/ chairs at the shop.
- Phone technician again. He thinks it might be that the sim is not registered properly. Make a date to meet him at cellphone shop.
- Go to cellphone shop again (with sleeping child) and switch watch on. Very embarrassed to find out that the “G” is showing. Now why did that not do that before???? Technician says it might have been a bad reception area??
- Now everything works fine. Enter IMEI on the app and it works ! No. flipping. way.
- Enter my number. Click 3 lines at the top. Go to address book. Add number there.
- Back home we have fun sending little voice messages. (Need to get airtime to use phone function still)
THE QUICK SUMMARY OF HOW TO SET UP YOUR WATCH:
- Go to cellphone shop WITH your proof of address. Ask for a nano sim. Don’t leave with out getting them to tell you what the cellphone number is, even if you have to get them to get out their own phones.
2. Get data and airtime for your sim. Insert it in your phone using screwdriver provided. Charge the phone using the chord provided. Make sure you have a good reception, that the bars on the top left are showing and that there is a “G”.
3. Download the app. “Move Time”. On your cellphone make sure that you have all the Wifi stuff off, Blue tooth, NFC, GPS. (Easier to do this not at home when your phone auto connects to the home Wifi). Then pair your phone using the IMEI number provided.
4. If all else fails phone Faheem from Alcatel. Very helpful dude.
Disclosure: SA Mom blogs was supplied with the watch.
For more info Tanya has written an informative post on the watch here.