This week’s post is from South African mom blogger Helene, who blogs at Prettybelle.
Adapt or DIE!
The only difference they lose weight and you… well let’s just blame it on baby!
Your world shifts – you‘re constantly thinking about someone else’s needs; is she happy? Did she eat enough? Why isn’t she sleeping? Your body changes! And in the process you need to somehow still be a sexy, loving wife?
It may sound superficial, but by looking good, I feel great and in return I’m a better Mama.
But let’s face it, time is precious and pretty much non-existing!
I learned a few tips and tricks along the way that I want to share with all you exhausted mamas out there.
Because somewhere hidden under a big pile of diapers countless wet wipes, and breastfeeding sessions there is still… a stylish YOU.
Comfort is a style!
I can’t believe I’m typing this, but again motherhood changes everything. Yes, I strongly believe that comfort is NOT a style and if you ever see me walking in (comfortable) crocs, just know that I have completely lost my mind.
But it’s just not practical to wear the shortest skirt (flashing innocent strangers while strapping baby in the car seat).
My top 5 mama-is-comfy-and-have-style items:
- Skinny jeans (research shows that you’re way thinner than you think you are, so get into those skinnies right now)!
Survival Tip 2
Mamas are ruling the world! The hottest accessory = a bump or cute kiddo walking next to an oh-so-stylish Mama beats a Forever New handbag any day.
Constant worrying and a lack of sleep (did I mention guilt)? May cause wrinkles and premature grey hair BUT NEWSFLASH, you’re not that old!
No time to put on make-up or even shower? Don’t worry!
Just do this:
- Colour your hair
Make an appointment and make sure you attend. Baby will survive! Nice hair = instant facelift. Even if you don’t wash or style it, it will be a pretty colour, for at least 6 weeks!
If you don’t have the budget to micro blade (the new eyebrow technique that literally transform your eyebrows from the girl-next-door to Cara Delevingne), just tint it. It’s quick, affordable AND you can do it at any salon. I get my eyebrow-fix at Sorbet. Thanks Janet! It lasts up to 6 weeks.
- Put on red lipstick
S = Style it!
- Pair your favourite summer dress with tights – you don’t have to shave and it’s almost like wearing pants, meaning you won’t flash the car guards.
- If it’s too hot for tights invest in hot pants. It’s like a mini ski-pant. Now you can be all flirty, without showing your bum.
- Look out for jumpsuits – this is a mum’s staple! The only thing that takes time is going to the bathroom…
- If you are a supermodel, stop reading. If not, scroll down. The rumour about that flabby part you get after a caesarean, well it’s true and no amount of sit-ups can fix that, but a high-wasted skinny jean = goodbye flab! No sit-ups required. Take that Britney!
- Think outside the box! Match your T-shirt with a chiffon skirt, just for the hell of it! You’re going to look good and feel great and inspire a few other Mamas along the way.
- Prints = mom’s best friend! Whether it’s plaid or floral this is a no-brainer. The busier the print – the less obvious the Purity
- Match with kiddo!
The best accessory = baby!
Survival Tip 4
Don’t let your hair down!
Look out for a vlog on how-to do my version of the milkmaid braid – coming up on Prettybelle – The Blog real soon. This is easy and the best part it’s out of reach for tiny, sticky, grabbing hands.
Motherhood is a life-changing experience, but with these tips you can Adapt, Outwit, Outplay and Outlast – in style!